As Christians, it is God’s desire that we live a life modeled after the example of Jesus Christ, whose ministry was that of Reconciliation. He came to reconcile us back into The Father and show us what true Love is so that we would reflect it in our lives, marriages, homes and in the world.
Jesus Christ is Love, Agape Love that teaches us how to walk in harmony, seeking peace, uplifting and praying prayers for one another that do not tear down or cause strife or confusion or seek to separate people, but prayers that will not bring judgement or condemnation upon us when we kneel before God.
Backbiting, gossiping, denigrating and being judgmental of fellow believers, seeking the demise of a person or the failure of a marriage or relationship is not only ungodly, but exposes who you are in both your spirit and in your heart. It diminishes your walk. It exposes you as an immature believer, it weakens your witness, it diminishes your testimony but more importantly it separates you, bit-by-bit from the God you profess to Love and serve. You have now become the noise in the band, the one out of step with those marching to God’s tune—His Word, the sound that is out of tune with the harmony and peace that God requires we walk in.
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
How does a God-fearing, Christ-professing, evangelizing, ‘spirit-filled’, servant of the Almighty get so out of step with God’s Word? How do they become the clamoring noise?
- A Weakened Prayer Life – Our prayer life is vulnerable to attack when your spirit is not aligned with the indwelling Christ. How does this happen? By having dislike, hatred or a judgmental spirit or feelings about another child of God. This is further compounded when you take Holy Communion knowing that you harbor those feelings and sentiments in your heart towards another. Those feelings are stewing/simmering inside of you. Your attempts to mask it by being a faithful steward, attending church regularly, working faithfully in the church, serving in ministry do not block that sin from God’s eyes. For He is an all-knowing, all-seeing God! The hypocrisy of taking communion without approaching that brother or sister in Christ, that in-law, neighbor or church member cuts you off from God until you ask God to forgive you and then go to that person, seek their forgiveness for harboring that sentiment and make things right. You are but a noise to God and in danger of having more demonic spirits attaching themselves to you!
- Having a Religious Spirit, and Not a Christ-Like Spirit – Religiosity is one of the easiest ways to become a clanging cymbal. It can lead to a judgmental spirit that opens you up to God’s Judgment. Criticizing others who may not dress like you or strictly adhere to the religious guidelines of your house of worship makes you noisy to God. Whispering/gossiping about others, saying who is worthy and who is not worthy to take communion or lead a prayer makes you a noisemaker to God
- An Unforgiving/Unaccepting Spirit – When we take it upon ourselves to say who is worthy to fellowship with us, eat with us, communion with us, pray with us, marry into our families, associate with our family, attend our place of worship you are a resounding brass noise to God’s ears. Clearly if you had lived during the time Christ walked the Earth, you would have been outraged that He accepted the adulteress (some historical documents call her a prostitute) Mary Magdalene into the fold.
- A Sense of Self-Importance or Self-Righteousness – Being unwilling to truly hear or open your heart to other Christians or feeling that it is your way or the highway or believing your own hype or praise for your service exposes your spirit to a prideful, boastful demonic spirit that will lead to your destruction. Here, being a noise to God’s ears is the least of your worries. This puts your soul and very salvation at risk.
- Living a Sin-Filled or Sinful Lifestyle
- Being Unfaithful
- Being disobedient to God
- Knowing that their thoughts or actions are sin, but doing it anyway despite The Word of God
- Preaching The Word, but Not Living The Word
- Parsing out what Scriptures you will and won’t do and expecting God to honor your prayers
These are just a sampling of how we become a noise in God’s ears. As you can see, it is not as difficult as you may think and we are all susceptible and have at times been just that.
As we strive to live righteousness, to obey The Word of God, to live what we profess and/or preach, let us do always what we know to be right in the sight of Lord, abhor sin, accept Biblical correction and not offend the Holy Spirit inside of us.
Father God, we humbly approach Your Throne of Grace and Mercy. Speak to our inner man/woman daily, guiding us so we don’t go astray. Speak light into our darkness, our thoughts, actions and plans that do not reflect the God in us. Help us to sin-less, pray more, turn from evil and be wise enough to stop before we do or go wrong or afoul of You! In the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ we pray, Amen 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽